I went to target to buy jeans… and the entrance to the fitting room was right next to the clearance rack, so of course I started perusing as my mom tried on her clothes and I was the guard of the cart and our purses.
I didn’t look at any of the sizes because I was looking for nothing in particular, until I came across the orange cowl neck sweater. This sucker had no long sleeves (pity) but the cowl was just obscene in its largeness.
Oh and when I say orange; think the inside of a pumpkin. It was beautiful in its pumpkin-y orange glow.
I showed it to mom, originally thinking I could wear it and pull off the extravagant color and collar. She noted all the snags in the knitting and how it would never come apart because it’s machine made. I put it back on the rack, thinking she was right but I kept thinking about it all night and all the next day. I had tackled items worse than this could possibly be, so I figured I was up for the challenge.
So I went back for it and any of its siblings that might be floating around the clearance rack along with it.
I found the original orange but sadly no others. At 7 dollars, I couldn’t pass up the price so I went to the cashier and got checked out.
Lets just say I was happy to already be planning the re-purposing event when the cashier took the hanger off and pulled a giant snag in the knitting. I seriously sat there and just stared at her as if she had stabbed it into a thousand little pieces. It really wasn’t that big of a loss, but I didn’t want the knitting to get snagged because of it.
I sped home with my new purchase in the passenger seat next to me. I immediately got the seam ripper and an empty project bucket (which is actually a bucket for ice and beer but I use it as such, not yet having the need for an ice bucket for beer) and sat down with a Netflix movie.
So what’s so fun about repurposing? After stabbing yourself with the seam ripper a couple times, you really start to get into a groove, and if you do it right, the seams simply come apart on their own, which is definitely what happened with the giant cowl.
It wound up being two and a half wound up balls of beautiful orange sitting in the project bucket. I ripped for what seemed like an hour until it was finally at the end of the cowl. Then I decided to tackle the body of the thing.
The body was literally two long strands of yarn: The front and the back. Done correctly, one should not have any tears in the yarn and it should all come out in one strand.
The seams ripped apart easily and I found the seams and started pulling. It literally was as easy as that. Never before has a machine made scarf come apart so easily.
It was about half way through the front body piece that Mom came home and marveled at the job I had made of the cowl and how it was so easy to do. We then spent the rest of the night picking schnibbles of orange off the floor… the hazard of re-purposing, I guess!
It took only another hour or so to finish the rest of the project and I wound up with 8 nearly-equal sized balls of beautiful pumpkin orange yarn.
I’m planning on making a blanket out of it since there’s so much and I have the red still leftover from my last re-purposing project. This yarn is 100% polyester so I’m thinking a baby blanket for some future baby of my cousins or the likes will be a useful option.
This gives me the opportunity to whip out the Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern for the Garterstitch Blanket. I can’t wait!
PS I don’t have a picture of the full sweater because I took it on a different camera until the battery died (oy) so I’ll post the whole thing in a little while!