Knitables

It’s… a sweater!!

I am weak. I know this for a fact.

I am especially weak when a crafts store has the needles all the way at the back of the store and you have to pass the yarn… and the books… on your way to the cash register.

I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics yesterday to get some 16″ circular needles in size 10 for my handspun to make, what I was hoping was, a hat. Turns out I don’t have enough yardage for a hat so I’m making an ear-warmer/headband thing. I’ll post pictures as soon as it’s done.

I also found something very interesting: Stitch n Bitch by Debbie Stoller YARN. She has regular wool, alpaca/wool blend and a bamboo/wool blend. I found a really pretty turquoise in the Bamboo Ewe and bought it.

I then went to the book section to try and find any more of the Yarn Harlot’s books. Sadly I think I bought the last of them when I was at Jo-Ann’s last but I did find Pints and Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter and flipped through it and found a sweater pattern. I realized that I could match the gauge with the old Cascade 220 that I bought for the Adult Tomten Sweater disaster. It would be a perfect trial for the Sweaters for Besties I was planning on doing this Christmas.

So I went home; book, yarn and needles in hand (none of the three were correlated at all, which seemed a little odd to me but I went with it anyway) and cast on the headband in my handspun. It looks cute and I’m hoping to finish it tonight. It’s just a basic garterstitch and I’m thinking it’ll keep my ears warm when it’s blustery and I have my hair down. After I got about half way done with the headband I got bored and the blue Cascade 220 was calling my name. I decided I was smart enough to read this pattern and do it well without any major F ups. so I started.

It went well. Until I realized, after finishing two inches of K1P1 rib stitch, that I looked at the size Medium CO amount (80 sts), rather than the size Large (88 sts). I wasn’t about to rip back all these rows of ribbing, so I made an extra piece of 8 stitches and added it to the needle.

So after the graft, I started the brown stockinette. This pattern calls for some shaping (18 rows of decreasing every 6 rows and 18 rows of increasing every 6 rows…). I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do this because I don’t know if this thing will fit to begin with, but I figured I might as well follow the pattern and pride be damned if it doesn’t fit now. It will in a few months.

I’m very happy with it so far. If the graft had gone better I’d love it, but this is going to be the back- I decided.

I also got the chance to use my Scrabble Tile Stitch Markers (these are for sale in the Shop).

This sweater is easy enough- a K2P2 ribbing with a stockinette body and sleeves. The boat neck ribbing might be a little complex but I have faith in myself. I’m going to make the sleeves longer because I hate 3/4 sleeves unless they’re voluntary (and by that I mean pulling them up). I’m making size Large now. I’m using Cascade 220 in Marine blue and brown and size 7 straight needles. I don’t have the labels since this was pre-label-hording so I don’t have dye lots/colorways for you. I do know the blue is discontinued as it’s no longer on the website.

I’m hoping to get this done in less than a month so I can have faith in myself that I can make the Sweaters for Besties. Wish me luck!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s