I just got my KnitPicks order in the mail! It contained two 100-gram hanks of ‘bare yarn’ for my kool-aid dying excursion. The 100 grams = 220 yards so I separated it into three sections. I know it’s more than 50 yards but I only had three color options in my cupboard. Grape, Cherry, and Orange.
First off- I need a Swift This would have made the entire situation easier when it comes to unraveling my yarn. I literally spent over an hour and a half (or three and a half episodes of Sex and the City) trying to get all the knots worked out. Eventually I got it all separated into three sets and had them all soaking.
So I went downstairs and grabbed three somewhat dusty mason jars from the creepy space under the basement stairs and filled them with water. Then I put the two sets of un-sweetened kool-aid into the jars while my skeins of yarn soaked in the sink filled with luke-warm water.
When I was satisfied with the concentration of kool-aid to water, I put the yarn in there. The color immediately soaked into the yarn and I was already impressed.
So I put all three into the microwave and hit the ‘one minute’ button two times. When it was done, I checked it out
I waited a few minutes, then put it back in the microwave and hit it for two minutes again. I left it again and hit the minutes again. After 3 zaps in the microwave, I pulled out the yarn and saw that the colors were completely dissolved into the yarn.
I then put each yarn into the sink with some laundry detergent to help work out the excess dye. After that I gently pressed out most of the water and put it on a plate covered with tons of paper towel to soak up the extra color.
After letting the yarn sit on the paper towel for a while, I moved my creations into the bathroom and over the curtain rack. I turned on the fan and put an old towel under the dripping yarn.
I’ve been in to check on it a couple times and the yarn should be dry by morning (hopefully) so I can ball it up and start knitting! I can’t wait!